The Laws of Marriage
The Laws of Marriage
Marriage Keepers obey the laws of the institution of marriage:
LAW #1 – Marriage is a covenant relationship: Marriage is a permanent relationship united together by God. (Matthew 19:6b) The only way out of marriage is death. It is better not to make a promise before God than to make it and not keep it (Ecclesiastes 5:5).
LAW #2 – Marriage is a heterosexual relationship: God’s original intention for marriage was for a man and woman. (Genesis 2:22-24) What God says first about His creation is His original purpose and it cannot be changed. Therefore, man cannot pass laws legally recognizing same sex marriages because it was not God’s original intention for marriage.
Here are our scriptural references that support the churches rejection of same sex marriages:
- God made a woman from man for man: (Genesis 2:22) God did not make a man from man for man; rather, He made a woman from man for man.
- Adam declared the woman was for man: (Genesis 2:23) Adam made a decree that woman was for man; therefore, whatever Adam named became the original intentions for man and woman.
- A man is united with a woman to be his wife: (Genesis 2:24) A man is united to woman to be his wife for marriage – not another man to be his husband in marriage. (Proverbs 18:22)
- Only a man and woman can become one flesh: (Genesis 2:24) The body parts of the man and woman are compatible in order to consummate their marriage to become one flesh.
- Only a man and woman can conceive children: (Genesis 1:28) God commands the man and woman to have children to continue life and the institution of family. Same sex marriages are incapable of obeying God’s commandment to be fruitful. Adoption is not what God is talking about here to begin a family.
LAW #3 – Marriage is a monogamous relationship: Marriage is between one man and one woman. (Matthew 19:5) The Bible doesn’t teach polygamy.
LAW #4 – Marriage is a sexual relationship: Marriage is the only relationship in which you can lawfully express sexual intimacy. (Hebrews 13:4)
LAW #5 – Marriage becomes a family relationship: Marriage is the only lawful relationship by which you are commanded by God to have children in order to continue the dynasty of your family name. (Genesis 1:28)