Purpose of Marriage
The Purpose for Marriage
Marriage Keepers live by the following five purposes for marriage:
- Worship: The purpose for marriage is to worship God by modeling the divine love and reverence between Christ and the church. (Ephesians 5:24-25, 33) The husband loves His wife sacrificially just like Christ loves the church. The wife submits to respect her husband’s Headship just like the church submits to Christ in respect of His Headship. Each day you are together you worship God through your marriage by demonstrating your love and respect for one another in order to represent to the world the object lesson of the love and respect Christ and the Church have for one another.
- Companionship: The purpose for marriage is for a man and woman not to be alone but have a covenant companion to go through life together. The husband and wife complement one another so they can fulfill the mission for marriage. (Genesis 2:18) The woman serves the man as his wife, helper (assistant), and mother of his children in the marriage. The man serves the woman as her husband, the head, and father of the children in marriage. The man and woman share their common interests with one another to become best friends. They share the good times of their life to rejoice with one another as well as going through difficult times to support one another.
- Pleasure: The purpose for marriage is to enjoy the pleasures of sex with one another in order to remain pure before God. (Proverbs 5:19). God made sex for marriage. Marriage is the only place sexual intimacy is legally Marriage keeps a man and woman sexually pure in the eyes of God. (Hebrews 13:4) Therefore, you are supposed to enjoy one another sexually and not to deprive one another of sexual pleasure, unless by mutual consent. (I Corinthians 7:3-5)
- Family: The purpose for marriage is to have children in order to continue God’s institution of family on earth. (Genesis 1:28) You get married to have children to continue God’s institution of family. Marriage is the only institution God legally ordained for children to come into the world. Marriage gives children parents that will provide a home for them in order to train and instruct them to make them sociably responsible in the context of a family. (Ephesians 6:1-4)
- Dominion: The purpose for marriage is to have dominion over the earth through living by the principles of God’s Word so you can make wise decisions, and have successful outcomes in everything your family does from generation to generation (Joshua 1:8).
God wants you to live by the principles of His word. God’s principles will prosper you (health, wealth, and relationships) and cause you to make wise decisions in order to have successful outcomes in everything you do in marriage. These principles are to be passed on to your children’s children in order to continue a family dynasty from generation to generation of marriage, health, and prosperity in your family line (Proverbs 13:22).